- Phone: +49 241 80 96488
- by appointment
- Cognitive-motor interference
- Control of body balance
- Haptic interactions
- Interpersonal postural coordination
- Cognitive and motor neurorehabilitation
Third-party funded research projects
- DFG Priority Programme SPP 2134 "The Active Self": “Plasticity of body representation of self and other in collaborative tasks” (Lee D & Johannsen L, 2022-2025).
- 2018-2020 RWTH Aachen University, Exploratory Research Space seedcorn funding award: “Combining social science and life sciences in the study of basic motor learning capabilities: developing a novel methodological approach to assess locomotor sequence learning and transfer of learning in young and older adults” (Johannsen L, Stephan D, Koch I, Batista J, Bollheimer C)
- DFG Priority Programme SPP 2134 "The Active Self": “Life-span development of high-order body representations for the control of body balance: role of prediction during light haptic interactions with another individual” awarded to Lee D and Johannsen L, 2018-2021.
- NIHR Brain Injury MedTech Co-operative: “An evaluation of stroke patients’ user acceptance and functional responsiveness to vibratory stimulation by active insoles in standing and walking” awarded to Johannsen L and Pomeroy V, 2018-2019.
- German Center for Vertigo and Balance Disorders, subproject “Processing of light touch for the control of postural stability during standing and walking in stroke patients” awarded to Johannsen L, Hermsdörfer J (BMBF 01EO1401), 2014-2017.
- BBSRC international partnering award - USA: “Probing light touch contributions to elderly balance” awarded to Wing A, Johannsen L (BBI0260491) in partnership with Redfern M (Pittsburgh, USA), 2011-2015.
- BBSRC standard grant: “Attentional demands of state transitions in posture and balance” awarded to Wing A, Johannsen L, Kourtzi Z (BBF0100871), 2008-2011.
Johannsen L, Friedgen E, Stephan DN, Batista J, Schulze D, Laurentius T, Koch I, Bollheimer LC. Keeping in step with the young: Chronometric and kinematic data show intact procedural locomotor sequence learning in older adults. PLoS One. 2022 May 3;17(5):e0266733. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0266733.
Schulleri, K. H., Johannsen, L., Michel, Y., & Lee, D. (2022). Sex differences in the association of postural control with indirect measures of body representations. Scientific Reports, 12: 4556, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-07738-8
Tannert I, Schulleri KH, Michel Y, Villa S, Johannsen L, Hermsdörfer J, Lee D. Immediate effects of vibrotactile biofeedback instructions on human postural control (2021). 43rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, 7426-7432. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC46164.2021.9630992
Johannsen, L., Müller, H., Kiesel, A., & Koch, I. (2021). The State-of-the-art of Research into Human Multitasking: An Editorial. Journal of Cognition, 4(1): 54, pp. 1–5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5334/joc.185
Kaulmann D, Saveriano M, Lee D, Hermsdörfer J, Johannsen L. Stabilization of body balance with light touch following a mechanical perturbation: adaption of sway and disruption of right Posterior Parietal Cortex by cTBS. PLoS1, 15(7): e0233988, 2020.
Johannsen L, Potwar K, Saveriano M, Endo S, Lee D. Robotic light touch assists human balance control during maximum forward reaching. Human Factors, 2020.
White O, Babic J, Trenado C, Johannsen L, Goswami N. The promise of stochastic resonance in falls prevention. Frontiers in Physiology, section Integrative Physiology, 9: 1-23, 2019.
- Steinl SM, Sparto P, Atkeson C, Redfern MS, Johannsen L. Interpersonal interactions for haptic guidance during balance exercises. Gait & Posture, 129-136, 2018.
- Kaulmann D, Hermsdörfer J, Johannsen L. Serving performance in a suprapostural visual signal detection task: context-dependent and direction-specific control of body sway with fingertip light touch. Journal of Neurology, 265 (Suppl 1), 74-76, 2018.
- Johannsen L, Wright RL, Wing AM. Body sway during quiet standing post-stroke: effects of individual and interpersonal light touch. Journal of Neurology, 265 (Suppl 1), 77-79, 2018.
- Kaulmann D, Chen HY, Johannsen L. Consolidation of the postural set during voluntary intermittent light finger contact as a function of hand dominance. IEEE World Haptics Conference (WHC), 523-527, 2017.
- Johannsen L, Coward SRL, Martin GR, Wing AM, van Casteren A, Sellers WI, Ennos AR, Crompton RH, Thorpe SKS. Human bipedal instability in tree canopy environments is reduced by “light touch” fingertip support. Scientific Reports, 7: 1135, 2017.
- Schulleri KH, Burfeind F, Höß-Zenker B, Szabó ÉF, Herzig N, Ledebt A, Johannsen L. Deliberately light interpersonal contact affects the control of head stability during walking in children and adolescents with cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 98: 1828-35, 2017.
- Kaulmann D, Hermsdörfer J, Johannsen L. Disruption of right posterior parietal cortex by continuous Theta Burst Stimulation alters the control of body balance in quiet stance. Eur J Neurosci, 45: 671-678, 2017.
- Steinl SM, Johannsen L. Interpersonal interactions for haptic guidance during maximum forward reaching. Gait and Posture, 53: 17-24, 2017.
- Johannsen L, McKenzie E, Brown M, Redfern MS., Wing AM. Deliberately light interpersonal touch as an aid to balance control in neurologic conditions. Rehabilitation Nursing, 42: 131-138, 2017.
- Johannsen L, Wing AM, Redfern MS. Tactile control of balance. Scholarpedia, 10: 6724, 2015.
- Johannsen L, Hirschauer F, Stadler W, Hermsdörfer J. Disruption of contralateral inferior parietal cortex by 1 Hz repetitive TMS modulates body sway following unpredictable removal of sway-related fingertip feedback. Neurosci Let, 586: 13-18, 2015.
- Johannsen L, Lou S, Chen HY. Effects and after-effects of voluntary intermittent light finger touch on body sway. Gait and Posture, 40: 575-80, 2014.
- Johannsen L, Li K, Chechlacz M, Bibi A, Kourtzi Z, Wing AM. Functional neuroimaging of the interference between working memory and the control of periodic ankle movement timing. Neuropsychologia, 51: 2142-2153, 2013.
- Sofianidis G, Hatzitaki V, Grouios G, Johannsen L, Wing AM. Somatosensory driven interpersonal synchrony during rhythmic sway. Hum Mov Sci, 31: 553-66, 2012.
- Hermsdörfer J, Li Y, Randerath J, Goldenberg G, Johannsen L. Tool use without a tool: kinematic characteristics of pantomiming as compared to actual use and the effect of brain damage. EBR, 218: 201-14, 2012.
- Johannsen L, Wing AM and Hatzitaki V. Contrasting effects of finger and shoulder interpersonal light touch on standing balance. J Neurophysiol, 107: 216-25, 2012.
- Guzman-Garcia A, Johannsen L, Wing AM. Dance exercise for older adults: a pilot study investigating body sway following a single lesson of Danzón. American Journal of Dance Therapy, 33: 148-56, 2011.
- Wing AM, Johannsen L, Endo S. Light touch for balance: influence of a time-varying external driving signal. Phil Trans R Soc B, 366: 3133-3141, 2011.
- Zietz D, Johannsen L, Hollands M. Stepping characteristics and centre of mass control during stair descent: effects of age, fall risk and visual factors. Gait and Posture, 34: 279-284, 2011.
- Karnath HO, Rennig J, Johannsen L, Rorden C. The anatomy underlying acute versus chronic spatial neglect: a longitudinal study. Brain, 134: 903-912, 2011.
- Noormohammadi N, Brownjohn J, Wing A, Racic V, Johannsen L, Elliott M. Effect of different cues on spectators’ synchronisation, a vibration engineering approach. International Conference on Structural Dynamics (EURODYN), 986-993, 2011
- Pelton T, Johannsen L, Chen H, Wing AM. Hemiparetic stepping to the beat: Asymmetric response to metronome phase shift during treadmill gait. Neurorehabil Neural Repair, 24: 428-434, 2010.
- Johannsen L, Wing AM, Pelton T, Kitaka K, Zietz D, Brittle N, van Vliet P, Riddoch J, Sackley C, McManus R. Seated bilateral leg exercise effects on hemiparetic lower extremity function in chronic stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair, 24: 243-53, 2010.
- Johannsen L, Guzman-Garcia A, Wing AM. Interpersonal light touch assists balance in the elderly. Journal of Motor Behaviour, 41: 397-399, 2009.
- Fruhmann Berger M, Johannsen L, Karnath HO. Subcortical neglect is not always a transient phenomenon: Evidence from a 1-year follow-up study. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 31: 617-623, 2009.
- Fruhmann Berger M, Johannsen L, Karnath HO. Time course of eye and head deviation in spatial neglect. Neuropsychology 22: 697-702, 2008.
- Karnath HO, Suchan J, Johannsen L. Pusher syndrome after ACA territory infarction. Eur J Neurol 15: e84-5, 2008.
- Johannsen L, Wing AM and Hatzitaki V. Effects of maintaining touch contact on predictive and reactive balance. J Neurophysiol 97: 2686-2695, 2007.
- Natale E, Marzi CA, Bricolo E, Johannsen L and Karnath HO. Abnormally speeded saccades to ipsilesional targets in patients with spatial neglect. Neuropsychologia 45: 263-272, 2007.
- Johannsen L, Broetz D and Karnath HO. Leg orientation as a clinical sign for pusher syndrome. BMC Neurol 6: 30, 2006.
- Johannsen L, Broetz D, Naegele T and Karnath HO. "Pusher syndrome" following cortical lesions that spare the thalamus. J Neurol 253: 455-463, 2006.
- Johannsen L, Fruhmann Berger M and Karnath HO. Subjective visual vertical (SVV) determined in a representative sample of 15 patients with pusher syndrome. J Neurol 253: 1367-1369, 2006.
- Karnath HO, Johannsen L, Broetz D and Kuker W. Posterior thalamic hemorrhage induces "pusher syndrome". Neurology 64: 1014-1019, 2005.
- Karnath HO, Zopf R, Johannsen L, Fruhmann Berger M, Nagele T and Klose U. Normalized perfusion MRI to identify common areas of dysfunction: patients with basal ganglia neglect. Brain 128: 2462-2469, 2005.
- Broetz D, Johannsen L and Karnath HO. Time course of 'pusher syndrome' under visual feedback treatment. Physiother Res Int 9: 138-143, 2004.
- Johannsen L and Karnath HO. How efficient is a simple copying task to diagnose spatial neglect in its chronic phase? J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 26: 251-256, 2004.
- Johannsen L, Ackermann H and Karnath HO. Lasting amelioration of spatial neglect by treatment with neck muscle vibration even without concurrent training. J Rehabil Med 35: 249-253, 2003.
- Karnath HO, Johannsen L, Broetz D, Ferber S and Dichgans J. Prognosis of contraversive pushing. J Neurol 249: 1250-1253, 2002